Sunday, January 25, 2015
Hey guys! It's been soooooooooo long since I've been on here. My school schedule was really hectic the last 2 years and I had a crazy amount of homework. I didn't even check my email for 2 years! But the good news is that I FINALLY graduated with a BFA in Interior Design, so I can now officially call myself an Interior Designer =) I moved back home to Sacramento, and guess what? There are NO interior design jobs out here. Looks like I'll probably be turning around and moving back to New Jersey. So basically, things are still going to be busy around here for a while. In the meantime, I have my airplane paintings back up on Etsy (found here)
Posted by Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup at 3:25 PM
Saturday, September 8, 2012
Anyway, this is an armoire I got off of craigslist for free a while back (don't remember if I have ever showed it to you guys).
It worked for a while in the dining room, but I did some furniture rearranging and wanted to put it in my room. I was never a huge fan of the moulding, so I gave it to a friend, and the wood color wasn't gonna work either. I painted it the same custom blue that is on other pieces in my room. I would have loved to put new moulding on, but it just wasn't in the budget, so I got 2 picture frames from Goodwill ($1 each) and nailed them to the doors. Eventually I will do something fancier, but it works for now =) I also replaced the drawer pulls with a thick jute. It adds the perfect coastal vibe =)
Saturday, June 16, 2012
I was trying to make this as cheap as possible, so I started with a pack of shims for somewhere around $3 bucks. They are definitely more rustic than what I was going for, but ya get what ya pay for.
I painstakingly cut every piece to a point with a handsaw and miter box. Pain in the butt, but totally worth it. I also made the bottom layer longer than the top layer. To hold everything together, I used a MDF floral ring (found at Michael's. I ended up only using the bigger one).
Before painting, I set it all out to make sure I liked how it looked. Instead of just sticking the mirror on, I wanted it to have a finished look, so I bought a ceiling medallion from Home Depot. I also placed that in the center to make sure it looked ok.
I primed the shims before nailing them on the floral ring. I also alternated them since one end of the shims are thicker than the other. The bottom layer had the thick part toward the center and the top layer had the thin part toward the center.
After it was all primed and nailed, I painted it gold.
It looked a little bright though, so I toned it down with some Dark Walnut stain.
And here it is all hung up. Since taking this photo, I've rearranged the setup of this dresser. I'll have to write a post about it soon, if I ever get a break from homework!